Prizes and scholarships
2017 Edition : November 21 to 25, 2017
WOODWINDS, BRASS & VOICE
The OSM Manulife Grand Prize comprises:
- A $10,000 Manulife Scholarship;
- An appearance as a guest soloist with the OSM on January 10, 2018, at Maison symphonique de Montréal;
- The YOA Orchestra of the Americas Award : a concert tour in summer 2018. This award is offered with the contribution of the Fondation Ariane Riou et Réal Plourde;
- The ICI Musique Prize : a professional audio recording in one of Radio-Canada’s studios and the broadcast of that recording on ICI Musique’s radio stations and website;
- The Orford Music Prize : a recital at the Orford Arts Centre presented in 2017;
- The National Arts Centre Prize : a performance opportunity at the National Arts Centre as part of the 2018-2019 season and a grant to participate in the 2018 Young Artists Program;
- The Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra Prize : a concert in St. John’s, Newfoundland, as part of the NSO’s 2018-2019 season;
- The Northern Arts and Cultural Centre Prize : a recital in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, as part of the NACC’s 2018-2019 season.
- A $5,000 grant is awarded to the Grand Prize winner of the 2017 OSM Manulife Competition to support the development of a professional career in music.
The first prizes:
- A $10,000 Manulife Scholarship, awarded in each of the three categories (one of them included in the Grand Prize).
The second prizes:
- Woodwinds category: A $5,000 scholarship, offered by the Marjorie and Gerald Bronfman Foundation.
- Brass category: A $5,000 scholarship, offered by the Fondation Paul A. Fournier.
- Voice category: The $5,000 V. E. Lambert scholarship, offered by the Succession Lambert-Fortier-Gagnon.
The third prizes:
- Woodwinds category: The $2,500 V. E. Lambert scholarship, offered by the Succession Lambert-Fortier-Gagnon.
- Brass category: The $2,500 Aline-Hector-Perrier scholarship, offered by the Fonds Les Amis de l’Art ($2,000) and by Mrs. Louise-Marie Dion and Mr. Réjean Breton ($500).
- Voice category: A $2,500 scholarship, offered by Mrs. Barbara Bronfman.
Prize for the best interpretation of a Canadian work:
- Woodwinds category: A $2,500 scholarship, offered by the OSM Volunteer Association.
- Brass category: A $2,500 scholarship, offered by the OSM Musicians Association.
- Voice category: A $2,500 scholarship, offered by Mrs. Juliana Pleines.
The other prizes:
- The Aspen Music Festival and School Prize : a scholarship covering tuition and accommodation for eight weeks of advanced training at the Aspen Music Festival and School during summer 2018.
- The Banff Centre Prize : scholarships covering tuition and accommodation for three weeks of advanced training in the Music and Sound Department at the Banff Centre, in 2018.
- The Orford Music Prize : scholarships covering tuition and accommodation for two weeks of advanced training at the Orford Arts Centre, in 2018.
- The Domaine Forget Prize : scholarships covering tuition and accommodation for two weeks of advanced training at Domaine Forget, in 2018.
- The Schulich School of Music Prize : two scholarships covering complete tuition for a performance program at McGill University’s Schulich School of Music.
- The Paul Merkelo scholarship : a $2,500 scholarship awarded by a jury chaired by Paul Merkelo, principal trumpet of the OSM.
This scholarship has been established to promote talent and excellence, and above all the determination of young Canadian musicians by supporting them in their dream of a career in music. The selection of the scholarship recipient is based mainly on musical excellence and the quality and relevance of the proposed training, as well as financial need.
Among the jury who each year judge the talent and the level of excellence of the artists participating in the OSM Manulife Competition are fabled teachers, instrumentalists, as well as world-renowned administrators and OSM musicians.
The jury panel will be announced in Spring 2017
Partners of the OSM Manulife Competition
Platinum – $5,000 and more
Fonds Ernst Pleines
Mrs. Barbara Bronfman and family
Marjorie and Gerald Bronfman Foundation
Fondation Paul A. Fournier
JeanParé and family
Fondation Arianne Riou and Réal Plourde
Schulich School of Music at McGill University
Sapphire – $2,500 and more
Aspen Music Festival and School
Louise-Marie Dion and Réjean Breton
Fonds Les Amis de l’Art
National Arts Centre of Canada
Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra
Northern Arts and Cultural Centre
OSM Musicians’ Association
OSM Volunteers’ Association